PLOS (Public Library of Science) is a nonprofit Open Access publisher, innovator and advocacy organization dedicated to accelerating progress in science and medicine by leading a transformation in research communication. The PLOS suite of influential journals contain rigorously peer-reviewed Open Access research articles from all areas of science and medicine, together with expert commentary and analysis, and include PLOS Biology, PLOS Medicine, PLOS Computational Biology, PLOS Genetics, PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, PLOS Pathogens and the multidisciplinary PLOS ONE, the world’s largest journal.
In addition to journals, PLOS covers the world of scientific research with over 20 blogs, four community channels and the PLOS Science Wednesday Ask Me Anything series on redditscience–all to provide a rich experience for readers and authors. Globally, more than 6,500 Academic Editors and 90,000 reviewers, together with authors and readers in over 200 countries, enable PLOS to expose, discuss and elevate the best ideas in science.
PLOS strives to recruit talented professionals from many backgrounds and disciplines who share a passion for the mission to transform research communication. PLOS offers a dynamic start-up culture and work environment rich in innovative ideas, together with a comprehensive compensation and benefits package. PLOS offices are located in San Francisco, USA and Cambridge, UK and the organization has a global team of more than 200 staff. PLOS’s distinguished Board of Directors includes eminent scientists, business leaders and entrepreneurs.
If you’re passionate about making a difference in the dissemination of scientific research, explore PLOS for the next move in your career. Currently, we are seeking talented candidates for the following positions:
Please send a resume, a cover letter, and a phone number where you can be contacted to email@example.com and use the job title as the subject of your email. Certain jobs may carry special application procedures; please make careful note of those and follow directions indicated. No phone calls or visits, please. Principals only – email from recruiters will be ignored.
Associate Editor – PLOS ONE ( Multiple Roles)
The Associate Editor will work with other editors to oversee the editorial process for submissions to PLOS ONE. The role involves a wide array of editorial responsibilities, from daily submission assessments to the development of editorial policies.
The position offers an opportunity for candidates looking for a move from research into scholarly publishing, as well as those seeking to advance their editorial experience. Applicants should be versatile, able to adapt to fast-paced environments and show a proven interest in editorial matters and the scholarly literature.
We are looking to broaden the skills covered by our editorial team and would particularly welcome candidates with experience in the following areas: clinical research, social sciences, ecology and engineering.
- Assessing new submissions and guiding manuscripts through the review process
- Overseeing editorial decisions
- Providing support and training to external Academic Editors
- Development of editorial policies and processes
- Representing PLOS ONE at scientific meetings
Qualifications and Experience
- Experience in a scientific research environment
- Strong familiarity with the scholarly literature is essential, proven experience in STM journals publishing would be an advantage
- Highly organized
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and oral
- A PhD qualification is desirable but not essential
Director, Software Development/Chief Architect
We are currently looking for a talented Director of Software Development/Chief Architect (DSD-CA) reporting to the Chief Technology Officer who will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of software development for the organization. The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. Previous experience working in a fast paced environment is a must.
The DSD-CA directly manages a team of 20-30 internal and vendor-supplied software and QA engineers and works directly with the rest of the management team to ensure that internally developed application systems meet the needs of the organization and our customers/contributors. Our mission is to revolutionize the way scientific research is published and communicated openly — and our software development investments are a large part of achieving that goal. We are looking for an individual who feels strongly in that mission and has the experience and motivation to deliver modern, high-performance, high-value applications in an Agile development environment.
- Recruit, mentor and provide career development for a highly skilled and motivated team of software and QA engineers.
- Provide leadership and oversight for technology choices and software architecture across the organization.
- Provide support and consultation to dedicated Agile teams tasked with priority initiatives for platform/feature development.
- Conduct research and landscape studies to stay abreast of new and innovative technology applications in the area of scholarly research and propose opportunities for partnership and collaboration.
- Actively participate in public speaking and blogging opportunities to communicate progress and challenges within PLOS technology.
- Actively manage all source code repositories for PLOS.
- Nurture a culture of experimentation, learning, risk-taking and a commitment to quality within the software development group.
- Participate in a cross-functional steering group committed to the continuous improvement of Agile practices within the organization.
- Actively participate in the strategic planning process for PLOS technology and prepare/manage a related budget.
Qualifications and Experience
- BS in a related field and at least 8 years hands-on experience and expertise in modern, web-based software development and techniques.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience managing software development teams/projects.
- Prior experience in application and database design; delivering high performance, web-based applications.
- Domain knowledge of modern publishing and/or the scholarly research process considered a plus.
- Ability to effectively communicate ideas/concepts and inspire/motivate technical professionals.
- Ability to think and act strategically and proactively.
- Ability to collaborate and collate requirements from multiple stakeholders.
- Practical experience with Agile methods and practices.
- Previous experience as a software engineer working with Java and/or Ruby. We use Java with Spring, Ruby on Rails and Ember.js extensively.
- Previous experience with automated testing frameworks a plus. We primarily use Selenium.
- Experience hiring, mentoring, and providing career development opportunities to technical professionals.
- Strong oral, written and presentation skills.
- Experience with Continuous Delivery is a plus.
Publications Assistant (UK)
We have a vacancy for a Publications Assistant in our Cambridge (UK) office to join the Publishing Services team.
Key tasks include providing a professional service to authors and reviewers, assisting them with the submission system and supporting the professional editors working for the journal. Applicants should have good IT skills and experience with online systems or databases would be an advantage.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. Previous experience working in a fast paced environment is valuable. The successful candidate will be a team player, organized and conscientious with good attention to detail and the ability to manage their own workload and meet competing deadlines. An interest in science, science publishing, and/or open access is advantageous.
- Operating our online submission system to facilitate the peer review process for the journal
- Assisting authors, reviewers, and academic editors by answering queries by email and phone
- Supporting the Editors and Editorial and Publications Managers in their tasks
- Fielding questions from scientists, members of the public and the press about the journal
- Liaising with authors to ready manuscripts for acceptance and production by the journal
- Engaging with press processes and social media
- Assisting with the gathering of statistical data for the journals (as required)
- Maintaining and updating journal operation process workflows as directed
- Troubleshooting routine manuscript issues, providing input on manuscript discussions and escalating issues when appropriate
- Undertaking special projects as directed by your line manager
Qualifications and Experience
- A university degree or equivalent
- Excellent communication skills, written and verbal
- Organizational skills, especially the ability to prioritize, meet deadlines and multi-task
- Technical proficiencies, knowledge of Excel, Word, file types and file conversions
- Excellent attention to detail
- An interest, and preferably experience, in STM or academic publishing
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO), the Publisher is a key leader of PLOS’ continued innovation to enable transparent, collaborative and barrier-free scientific communication. The Publisher has overall responsibility for building and sustaining a first class publishing operation and growing revenue across the PLOS suite of journals. This includes setting the overall strategy, putting in place development plans and setting objectives to deliver the desired results.
The publisher oversees a team of over 90 professionals across various functions including publishing services and production operations, contributor experience, product management and product marketing.
As a member of PLOS’ Executive Team, the Publisher contributes to leadership of the organization and actively participates and collaborates with senior leadership across all departments to establish both short and long term strategic plans and objectives to support organizational mission and priorities.
- Work with PLOS leadership team and Board to establish overarching strategy and goals for the organization.
- Represent PLOS journals and platform externally to the science, publishing and field specific communities and contribute to the development of policy positions and recommendations.
- Maintain a culture built on teamwork and the highest level of personal ethics.
- Collaborate and build strong relationships with senior leadership to drive excellence across the PLOS publishing program maintaining alignment with organizational values and goals.
- Keep abreast of developments in the STM publishing industry including competitor trends and publishing related initiatives as well as keeping up to date with the changing needs of researchers.
- Establish and execute publishing strategy for current suite of journals.
- Oversee the financial and operating performance of the publishing program and develop and realize strategies to drive revenue.
- Develop publishing programs, policies and business models to be adaptive and responsive to a changing landscape.
- Maximize revenue growth for journals within the current portfolio through effective journal development strategies and realize cost savings from scalable efficiencies.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan to create demand generation and positioning to attract quality submissions across the PLOS suite of journals.
- Develop product marketing plans to uniquely address the interests of related communities.
- Build brand by showcasing the suite of PLOS journals.
- Launch, educate and gain adoption for new PLOS offerings.
- Develop and implement strategies to drive editorial board and community engagement.
- Establish and execute the PLOS product strategy by identifying and assessing new features, positioning of existing products as well as identifying growth opportunities for the organization.
- Build and manage the implementation of the product roadmap to support organizational goals.
- Monitor emerging industry trends to formulate product strategy and lead analysis to benchmark PLOS’ product offering in relation to competitors.
- Work closely with internal and external constituents to define and develop proposed enhancements and/or new products.
- Direct line management of senior management staff in publishing services, contributor experience, product marketing and product management.
- Ensure effective management practices and structure within publishing group.
- Ensure comprehensive communication and collaboration with staff, Executive Team, PLOS Board and Department heads.
- Attend and present at PLOS Board meetings.
- Work with team and human resources to develop staffing strategies to recruit and retain top talent.
Location and travel
- This position is based in PLOS’ San Francisco, CA headquarters
- Periodic travel (3-4 times each year) to visit PLOS’ Cambridge, UK office
- Travel to meetings and industry conferences as appropriate
Qualifications and Experience
- 12+ years of progressively responsible publishing leadership roles in STM journal publishing with a minimum of 6 years in a leadership capacity. Experience in an open access environment preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree a plus.
- Experience with medium to large journal publisher operations.
- Proven experience in growing revenue and realizing new business opportunities.
- Proven experience in leading the successful implementation of effective product management programs preferably in the web media space.
- An experienced manager with excellent leadership, coaching and team-building skills, integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic, mission-driven environment.
- Dedication to open access and transforming scholarly communication.
- Strong drive to create change in journal publishing.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and make decisions.
- Excellent communication skills, both written, verbal and presentation.
Interested candidates should provide a resume and cover letter by email to Amy Morse (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Senior Editor, PLOS Medicine
We are currently looking for an experienced Senior Editor to join our team in either our San Francisco, CA or Cambridge, UK offices.
As an integral member of the editorial team running an open-access international medical journal, the Senior Editor will have primary responsibility for commissioning and handling review of non-research manuscripts for PLOS Medicine’s Magazine Section, and will develop commissioning strategies to integrate non-research content with primary research articles within the journal’s scope. The Senior Editor will also be responsible for handling the evaluation and peer review of a limited number of research manuscripts submitted to the journal.
- In consultation with the editorial team, developing a strategic vision to guide priorities for topics and article types, series, and collections involving PLOS Medicine’s non-research content
- In collaboration with the publications services and production teams, developing practical processes to implement the content vision
- Commissioning articles on priority topics, and leading the evaluation, including peer review, of commissioned and submitted non-research manuscripts, including Perspectives on related research articles; coordinating timing with publication of related articles
- Handling a proportion of the research manuscripts submitted to the journal, from submission through peer review and publication, including presenting manuscripts to editorial team, interacting with reviewers and academic editors around manuscript assessment and review, and clearly communicating decisions to authors.
- Writing editorials, press releases, editors’ summaries and related content.
- Participating in the daily running of the journal, including scheduled editorial team calls
- Being involved in the advocacy activities of PLOS Medicine and PLOS, including representing the journal and organization at meetings and conferences.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Advanced degree: MD or equivalent medical degree or PhD in a relevant biomedical field, with post-doctoral research experience desirable
- Several years experience in commissioning and/or editorially evaluating content for a peer-reviewed journal in medicine or medical science
- A keen eye for detail, with outstanding writing and oral communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively, and in response to firm deadlines
- Familiarity with press and social media as venues to expand the impact of journal content
- A strong interest in PLOS Medicine’s priority topics of human health worldwide, practice of medicine, publication quality and ethics, and translational medicine
- Availability to work on-site in either San Francisco, USA, or Cambridge, UK.
Interested candidates should provide a resume and cover letter by email to Amy Morse (U.S) : email@example.com & Fiona Foley (U.K): firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting job number 201507127
Senior Product Manager
We are currently looking for a Senior Product Manager who knows and appreciates our vision at PLOS, understands open access, and has real-world experience in peer-reviewed, scholarly publishing. The right candidate is a bold thinker who offers big ideas grounded in cutting-edge market analysis—and has the technical proficiency and digital publishing knowledge to make those ideas a reality.
To be successful, you will collaborate across Technical, Production, and Editorial departments as well as Marketing operations. Also, you must enjoy spending time in the larger scholarly community and recognize the challenges—and opportunities—that often arise in scientific or scholarly publishing.
This role is both strategic and tactical. You will align product plans with organizational objectives and oversee their implementation while serving as product evangelist for internal and external audiences.
For this position, your knowledge of our organization and emerging trends in scholarly publishing weigh more heavily than product management experience. If you are a Senior Digital Publishing Manager or Editorial Manager with an understanding of peer review, editorial workflows, scholarly publishing industry trends and emerging ideas, we urge you to apply.
- Managing the full product life cycle for organizationally critical projects including strategic planning, tactical activities, product implementation, and marketing/positioning.
- Conducting market research and interacting with stakeholders to define requirements for current and future products and features.
- Deriving and articulating solutions from a diverse set of requests across the organization.
- Working with marketing and other teams to implement product roll-outs, and closely tracking the progress and performance of each initiative.
- Analyzing potential relationships for new partnerships, products, and initiatives.
- Developing and managing internal employees and external vendor relationships to maximize product, development, and publishing resources.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Hands-on experience in scholarly or scientific publishing, and/or 5+ years of product management experience in a related and relevant field.
- Deep understanding of peer review, editorial workflows, and scholarly communication.
- Experience creating, presenting, advocating for, and implementing large-scale, long-term product strategy business plans—particularly including product plans that span across core departments within publishing (Editorial, Development, Marketing, Production, Sales, and others).
- Proven ability to manage direct reports and/or close contracting relationships.
- Demonstrated success planning and completing multiple, concurrent projects.
- Strong ability to contribute both strategically and creatively.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Clear, engaging written and verbal communication abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree is required, graduate-level work in the Biological or Medical Sciences is a plus.
Systems Administrator (UK)
At PLOS, we are currently looking for a Systems Administrator to join our team within our Cambridge UK office.
The ideal candidate will be a confident and highly organized self-starter with first class communication and problem solving skills. Previous experience working in a fast paced environment is a must. The successful candidate will assist in the general day-to-day management of the Windows and Linux IT infrastructure, maintain the networking devices, monitor the organization’s IT environment and provide technical support for the PLOS staff (onsite and remote).
- Administer and maintain aspects of the organizational infrastructure including email, anti-spam and anti-virus, backup and recovery operations, log rotations, systems status, etc.
- Implement approved infrastructure changes and perform ongoing maintenance of all systems components of the Windows infrastructure.
- Configure, maintain and monitor networking devices, VPN and firewalls.
- Provide assistance in supporting our Linux based production systems
- Build and maintain test labs.
- Provide technology discovery (research), installation and configuration information.
- Evaluate, recommend and purchase software/tools/technology for the organization.
- Act as the critical stakeholder on all Desktop Services projects.
- Provide backup support for the Windows Systems Administrator. Assist in problem resolution when technical issues are escalated by the Windows Systems Administrator.
- Provide the highest level of service to users.
- Although not usually required, this role will be on call for emergencies 24×7.
Qualifications and Experience
- Degree Educated
- Previous experience as a Windows Systems Administrator or a similar role.
- Experience with Juniper routers and switches, ASA firewalls, Wifi routers and network architectures is highly desired.
- Linux systems administration experience
- Juniper network certification (or equivalent training/experience) a plus.
- Configuration, administration and troubleshooting of Windows Server 2003/2008, Active Directory 2007/2010 and Office 2010.
- Solid understanding of DNS, IP subnets
- Knowledge of Windows SUS and application of critical/security updates to both onsite and remote staff.
- Knowledge of SharePoint 2007/2010/2013 a plus.
- Proven ability to write end-user documentation for non-technical staff.
- Strong motivation to complete projects quickly. Ability to handle multiple concurrent activities with a positive and flexible attitude.
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills.